I’ve been making some music with my lovely friend and collaborator Craig Ross. We usually have quite a good time and come up with things together that are beyond what we would come up with alone. In 2016 we released our first Tim Rutili & Craig Ross record on the Jealous Butcher label – Guitars Tuned to Air Conditioners – This music was long form meditations on texture, electricity, tension and time.
On June 22nd we release our new collaborative album – 10 seconds to collapse – Craig and I wrote and recorded these songs over the last few years, mostly in Austin, TX, a little bit in Los Angeles and a bit in Chicago. The songs swing somewhere between the poles of early 70’s Am radio pop and deconstructed folk songs built up from drones and loops (though, you may hear something else and use completely different words to describe this music)..
We love this record very much and are looking forward to sharing this music with you and possibly playing these songs in your house!
– Tim Rutili
* Craig Ross has worked with Lisa Germano, Spoon, Patty Griffin, Califone, Robert Plant, Shearwater, Daniel Johnston, made music for films by Steve Buscemi and Terence Malick and has released 2 solo albums “Dead Spy Report” and “The Greater Good”.
* Tim Rutili is a musician, filmmaker and visual artist. Founder and principle songwriter for Califone and Red Red Meat. He has composed and collaborated on music for many feature films and documentaries and contributed to albums by Loftus, Boxhead Ensemble, Ugly Casanova, Joan of Arc, Brian Reitzell, Modest Mouse, Sage Francis and Fruit Bats among others.
Do you have big living room, loft space, community space, art gallery, yoga studio, recording studio, coffee shop or other space where we can do a private show that can comfortably and safely host 40-50 people? If so, please read everything below and get in touch if you live in or near these areas and want to host. We’d love to have a show at your place!
Deadline for submissions: June 7
Tickets on sale: June 22 @ 2pm (CT) HERE
Wed July 25 – Dallas, TX – CONFIRMED
Thu July 26 – OFF
Fri July 27 – Omaha NE – CONFIRMED
Sat July 28 – Kansas City MO – CONFIRMED
Sun July 29 – St. Louis MO – CONFIRMED
Mon July 30 – OFF
Tue July 31 – Indianapolis IN – CONFIRMED
Wed August 01 – Cleveland OH – CONFIRMED
Thu August 02 – Detroit MI – CONFIRMED
Fri August 03 – Madison WI – CONFIRMED
Sat August 04 – Minneapolis MN – CONFIRMED
Sun August 05 – Chicago IL – CONFIRMED
We’ll make this as easy as possible for the hosts. All you have to do is let us borrow your living room for about 3 hours, check names off the list at the door… in return you’ll get 5 additional free tickets for friends and our eternal gratitude.
1. Please read everything below so you know how it works.
2. email email@example.com this info:
– a. Your address.
– b. A few photos of your living room.
– c. Please put “Tim/Craig Living Room Show” and the name of your city in the subject line.
3. Sit tight and we’ll get back to as soon as possible if we can book the show at your place.
Here’s how it works.
1. You have a big living room, loft space, community space, art gallery, yoga studio, recording studio, coffee shop or other space where we can do a private show that can comfortably and safely host 40-50 people. There needs to be street parking, parking garage or public transportation nearby and your neighbors should be cool. It would be a huge bummer if someone called the cops because of all the extra cars and people coming to your place. You probably shouldn’t do this if you live in a tiny apartment with a bunch of uptight neighbors or a cranky landlord. Be realistic on how many people your place can hold. We need to know how many tickets we can sell in advance. Sorry, we can’t do these shows outside.
2. Ticket price will be $20. Everyone must buy tickets in advance. No tickets will be sold at the door. There will be no reselling or third-party tickets sales. All tickets sales are direct to fans from Undertow. Limit 4 tickets per person. These shows sell out quickly and we want everyone to have a fair opportunity to buy tickets.
3. We’ll provide the host with a list of everyone coming to the show. The host won’t have to deal with any money and will only need to check people off the list as they arrive. We ask guests to arrive between 7:00-7:45pm. The shows start at 8pm and we ask everyone to be out of your space by 10pm.
4. The host gets 5 additional free tickets for the show. If you have other friends beyond your 5 guests who want to come to the show you should direct them buy tickets on-line.
5. Your home address will not be published on the web and will only be given to people who purchase tickets.
6. The shows will promoted on our websites, Facebook and Twitter and word-of-mouth.
7. We’ll need your help to spread the word on your Facebook and Twitter too. We’ll create a Facebook event for each show and make you a host of the event so you can easily invite your friends (Thank you!). Remember, please don’t post your address. The address only goes to people after they buy tickets. We need to keep the location private so random people don’t try to show up and pay at the door.
8. You don’t need any sort of sound system. All you you need is two chairs for Tim and Craig to sit on and some kind of ambient lighting like a lamp on coffee table, floor lamp, or overhead lights with a dimmer to help create a cozy mood.
9. You don’t need seating for everyone. If you have a bunch of chairs, great! But most shows are floor seating and we let guests know they should bring a cushion, pillow or folding chair to sit on during the show.
10. There will be no opening artists on the living room shows.
11. We love dogs and cats… we really do! But an excitable pet running around during the show can be distracting for the guests and performers. If you have curious and friendly 4-legged family members, would you be ok with putting them in another part of the house or sending them to a friend’s house during the show?